Friday, October 1, 2010

Cultural differences

Looking out over Vilcabamba

  I guess it is always the little things that might strike you as funny but cultural differences do exist.  Some of the interesting ones that I have noticed are:
1) The main meal here is lunch ("almuerzo"), not dinner, and there is generally a break in the middle of the day for everyone to come home and eat together.
2) Working can sometimes be optional depending on the weather or politics.
3) You cannot flush toilet paper here!  Something important to remember when you are using the bano.
4) Urinating in the street is acceptable, but spitting and yawning are considered rude.
5) California emissions regulations definitely do not apply to the vehicles here.

  Aside from some differences in culture the people here are warm and lovely.  They do make it a point to describe the diffence in languages between the major cities here in Ecuador.  They are always ready to drink some coffee and spend some time hanging out.  This is perfect for me because I am usually the last one to finish a meal.  I have yet to meet someone who has been unfriendly, including the other missionaries here.  Naturally now that Kim and I have had some time to develop our relationships, becoming part of the community is getting easier.

  Spiritually, the time here has already allowed amazing growth and an excellent opporunity to deepen out knowledge of the Lord.  One theme that the Lord has been speaking to me recently is his never ending presence in our lives.  Psalms 139:7-10 clearly points out that there is nowhere we can go to get away from Him.

7  Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8  If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
9  If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10  Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.

  This is amazing news because all that we have to do is turn and recognize that He is there to realize His power in our lives.  Isaiah 58:6-11 also gives us insight as to our purpose and the way that we tap into the Lord.  Paraphrasing, it says, serve the poor and needy and when you call on me I will be right there.  What an amazing thing to be able to call on the Lord and have Him say "Here am I."  Likewise, another theme of importance is the need for prayer and fasting.  Reading through Acts we can see that the power of the Holy Spirit was always around when there was prayer and fasting.

  Next week Kim and I are going to start leading the English teaching ministry on Wed nights.  Fortunately there is an excellent curriculum that we can use (spotlightradio.net) and a well-developed group of Ecuadorians to continue encouraging in their development.  Already we have had opporunities to encourage those that we are studying with and guide them into a better understanding of English and the scriptures.  This weekend we are helping again with the childrens ministry.  The story is going to be on Psalms 23, The Lord is my shepard.  So as part of our tasks we designed and cut out a bunch of sheep masks for the kids to put together.  It should be fun and I hope to get some pictures for you all.

  For those that are praying, please pray for the continued work of the Spirit in our lives.  Pray also for the power of the Spirit to work in the lives of lost here in Loja.  Kim and I appreciate all your support and care.

Love, Doug and Kim

English ministries fiesta

1 comment:

  1. We just had a sermon last week on not being able to hide from God, when we run from Him we are always running to Him... now I see another verse here about it. Thanks! I'm not running but I'm not listening as well as I should. Keep up the good work, you guys are reaching more people then just in Equador, your followers are learning from you too. =)

    ReplyDelete